Monday, May 28, 2007

The Ant

Wind sways the lines of green,
soft specks of soil are wrapped

in its arms.
A black circle with six protruding legs
and two bright white eyes
scuttles towards the falling mountain

he calls home.
The rays of sun become hidden
by an ominous shadow;
the ground trembles in its arrival.

He scurries, urging himself
to beat encroaching Death
to stay with uplifting Life.

The waves of dirt swallow him whole,
he hits the bottom
of his newly formed tunnels, seeing
Life’s joyful eye peering down,

peering down.


Notes:

This is the poem that I wrote in class on Friday. I decided to write a Mary Oliver poem because I like her poems more than Billy Collins’s. I wrote my poem about something in nature, and I used enjambment, because those are both elements that are present in many of Oliver’s poems.

No comments: